240 West Clayton Street
Athens, GA 30601
Closed on Sundays
Serving Athens & Northeast GA since 1942
Chick Music is a locally-owned, family business that has been serving Athens area musicians for more than 75 years.
Originally opened as Chick Piano in 1942 by Lewis Chick on Jackson Street, the store moved to Lumpkin St just down from the Georgia Theatre in the late 1940s.
In 1965, after Mr. Chick's passing, Chick Piano was purchased by Billy & Anne Shepherd and moved to Clayton Street in 1968, where it remains today. When rock n roll music become popular in the 1960s, we ventured into the sales of guitars, amps, and sound equipment.
In 2002, we began our band instrument rental department and changed our name to Chick Music. (don't worry, we're still technically Chick Piano as well, and piano sales remain a large part of our business. In fact some of us still answer the phone "Chick Piano, how can we help you". Some habits die hard!)
In 2007, we opened a building extension, a three floor addition that gave us a piano showroom, a lesson studio upstairs, which features six private lesson rooms and 1 recital hall, and a full repair shop for band instruments.
In 2013, Mrs. Anne Shepherd was awarded the key to the city by Mayor Nancy Denson, in honor of her many years of service and dedication to business in downtown Athens.
Over 75 years later, we're still going strong here at Chick Music.
We plan on being here for a long, long time!